by: Chloe Coscarelli
These potatoes are a beautiful addition to any dinner table or holiday party that you may have this season. They are vegan and gluten free, they taste that great, and this dish is simple and easy to make. I have taken this to family dinners and the dish has ended up completely gone.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Soak cashews overnight or boil water and pour it over them and let sit for 15 min & drain the water out. This will soften the cashews and ensure a silky, smooth cream.
- *if you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec this may not be necessary
- In a blender, puree cashews, water, garlic, and salt. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add thyme and scallions to the cashew cream and mix with a spoon.
- In the pan, arrange half of the sliced potatoes, overlapping, and pour half of the cashew cream on top.
- Repeat for the second layer.
- Dust the top with paprika and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking another 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and lightly browned on top.
- Garnish with fresh thyme before serving and adjust salt to taste.